On my first day of school back in January, I was astounded by the respectful attitude, responsible nature, and classroom etiquette that my students demonstrated. Now I have grown accustomed to students rising as I enter the room and giving thanks at my feet when I leave. It is no longer a surprise when students coming late to class will not enter the room until I have acknowledged their presence and accepted their apology for tardiness. I often have to stop and remind myself that school life outside of Sri Lanka does not run this smoothly. Especially in the United States~ it is quite the opposite. I, nor my classmates in high school, were ever as eager to learn as my students are here. These kids should get rewarded far more often than they do. They study from morning until night, continuing after school for hours at tuition classes. Their work ethic is incredible and I am learning from their dedication.
Working as an English Teaching Assistant has provided me with countless invaluable experiences. I have been challenged immensely and thus grown immensely. I think the most important thing the ETA position has done for me is that I have overcome my fear of commanding a classroom and teaching on my own. Never having taught an entire class before, I was excited but intimidated at the beginning of this experience. Teaching a classroom of 40 students who are only 5 years younger was pretty scary. However, as time passed, I became more comfortable and confident. I can proudly claim that I am no longer afraid of teaching a class on my own or creating a lesson plan. My time at Sujatha and Ladies College has provided me with the skills I need to teach confidently in the US or internationally, even if the students aren’t as well behaved as Sri Lankans J
Here are some of the beautiful faces I see everyday...
Here are some of the beautiful faces I see everyday...
Sujatha performs The Frog Prince
4th Grade
Farmer
Ready to welcome the 1st graders on their inauguration day
Marching to Upper School
Not so happy about starting school!
Dressing Up for a Birthday!
Party Shoes
those party shoes are on point. its fantastic that you're a full-fledged teacher now; i couldnt think of anyone id rather learn from.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful experience your having Jess. Those faces are incredible and it must be an awesome feeling to create a lesson plan and teach to all those students. I would love to be able to sit in the back of the classroom and observe!
ReplyDelete