Today Utsha and I packed our boxes to ship home to the US. Well, actually Ruth used her organizational expertise and packed our boxes while we rummaged through the piles of clothing and papers that we have collected through the last 8 months. As I blasted Glee songs while attempting to organize my belongings, I tried to ignore the nostalgia that was seeping into my being. Despite my efforts, it is 6 hours later, the box is packed, and I’m already missing this country that I have grown to love so much.
I can’t believe that I only have one month left. I am already trying to prepare myself for the culture shock that is going to slap me in the face when I step off the plane in Boston, but I don’t know how. It’s hard to imagine waking up in the morning without hearing the bellowing voice of the man who sells fish or the megaphone announcements by the guy selling lottery tickets from his bicycle. Next time I am tired from the hot sun, what will I do without a refreshing thambili? I know that people will react far less positively when I respond to questions with a smile and head waggle. I do not know how to prepare for this. I'd like to express my confusion and unpreparedness with one of my favorite Sri Lankan expressions:
"How can I? Very difficult, you know? Can't."
No comments:
Post a Comment