After completing my first week at Ladies College in Colombo and my first 3 weeks at Sujatha Vidyalaya in Matara, I have taken part in some interesting discussions with my students. Our conversations range from politics to culture to views regarding America and Sri Lanka to food to entertainment and more.
One question that Utsha and I often pose to our students: What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of America? After asking several 10th, 11th, and 12th graders at Ladies College this week, I received some interesting responses. The most common:
- Obama
- Big
- White
- Powerful
- Too many restrictions
- Organized driving J
It’s interesting hearing their answers and think about what mine would be. Living in a foreign country and thinking about America from a distance has changed my perspective. I get asked questions about Obama, foreign policy, the current United States financial situation, the American education system, etc… on a daily basis. I often feel strange answering these questions because I don’t think that I have enough knowledge to give a comprehensive answer. There is a lot of pressure being a representative of an entire country. Major props to President Obama, politicians, diplomats, celebrities, and others who do this with remarkable grace. It’s not easy. One thing that I always include in my answers, “…America is a huge and diverse place. This is just my opinion based on my personal experiences. Many have different views and have come from different backgrounds.” I hope that this translates across the ever-present conversational language and cultural barriers.
So, my personal response to the question I pose to my students? The list is far from static:
- Home
- Opportunities
- Diverse
- Privileged
- Education
- Self-serving
- Capable of great things
So, I’d like to pose the same question to you. Even if you don’t write a response, it’s something interesting to think about.
Opportunity
ReplyDeleteFreedom
Prejudiced
Religious
Spiritual
Liberal
Conservative
Beautiful Country
Patriotic